Recipe By:Marissa Wright
“I was given this recipe by my mom when I went away to college, and it has become all of my friends’ favorite!”
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat – cubed
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
- Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2016 Allrecipes.com
Printed From Allrecipes.com 2/28/2016
With salsa, chili powder, bell peppers and tortillas, this Southwestern Chicken Casserole is a fiesta on your plate! And a healthy one at that! Don’t be surprised if you want to break out the sombreros!
What You’ll Need:
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 (6-inch) no-added-salt corn tortillas, torn
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat, shredded Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
s, for garnish
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, garlic and chili powder. Add to skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add oil to hot skillet. Add onion and pepper; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup salsa in bottom of dish. Top with half the tortilla pieces, half of chicken mixture, and half of vegetable mixture. Pour half of remaining salsa over vegetables and top with half the cheese. Repeat layers once, except cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro.
© 2015 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated.
All rights reserved.