TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min.
MAKES: 8-10 servings
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
- In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Return potato puree to the pan and heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Potato Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p65
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC