Healthy and light, our Italian Eggplant Casserole bakes up with tons of texture and taste. We made sure to add in some colorful, good-for-you tomatoes for extra pizzazz.
Cooking Time: 1 hr
What You’ll Need:
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, peeled, cubed
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs divided
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
What To Do:
- In a soup pot, bring 2 inches water to a boil. Add eggplant and cook 20-30 minutes covered until soft; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Coat a 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mash eggplant with a fork. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs, the Egg substitute, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Spread eggplant mixture in prepared baking dish and top with tomato slices. Sprinkle tomatoes with remaining bread crumbs and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and brown around edges.
© 2015 by Ginsburg Enterprises Incorporated.