1 medium onion, diced
20 ounces lean (93% fat free) ground turkey
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 15-ounce cans low-sodium tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 pound brown rice or quinoa penne pasta (or whole wheat penne pasta)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 cups skim milk
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add cooking spray to a large nonstick sauté pan. Sauté onions for 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add in ground turkey and sauté for 8-10 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add cinnamon, oregano, salt (optional), ground black pepper, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer for 5-7 minutes or until just starting to thicken.
- Stir in parsley and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and stir immediately into turkey mixture. Pour the pasta and turkey mixture into the baking sheet and press down so it is evenly spread in the pan.
- Add the olive oil to a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook the flour for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to brown it. Stir constantly.
- Slowly whisk in the skim milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Whisk in the nutmeg and parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and then slowly whisk in the hot milk mixture to temper the egg. Add the rest of the milk mixture to the egg and then pour over the top of the pasta, spreading to coat the entire thing.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden brown.
Cost: $9.89 for entire recipe, just $0.82 per serving!
credit:Copyright 1995-2015 American Diabetes Association