4 sweet red, yellow or orange peppers
4 ounces turkey sausage patties
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups hot cooked white rice
1. Cut the tops off the peppers, about 1″ down. Remove the seeds and ribs, being careful not to tear or rip the peppers. In a medium saucepan, blanch them in gently boiling water for 6 minutes, or until they are soft but still retain their shape. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, crumble the sausage into a nostick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown for 5 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Remove the sausage and set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
3. Set the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute. Add the garlic and thyme. Cover; cook for 3 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sausage, bread crumbs and parsley.
4. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
5. Stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Place the peppers upright in an 8″ x 8″ no-stick baking dish. Pour 1/4″ water into the dish. Bake for
6. 15 minutes, or until heated through. Turn on the broiler and broil about 6″ from the heat for 3 minutes, or until the Parmesan is lightly browned. Serve over the rice.
Credit: Recipe from Prevention’s The Healthy Cook.