- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)
- Heat oven to 325° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Vigorously whisk together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl until glossy, foamy, and the sugar is mostly almost dissolved. Fold in the coconut, stirring until evenly combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop the batter in mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes; let cool completely. The macaroons will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature in an airtight container.Cooking Tip: For a delicious upgrade, dip the bottoms of the cooled macaroons in melted bittersweet chocolate. Refrigerate on a parchment-lined baking sheet until firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
Credit: Recipe By Charlyne Mattox , March, 2013. Copyright © 2014 Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. All rights reserved.
Photo property of José Picayo.