6 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 firm Anjou pears, peeled, cored, and halved
- 1 (2-inch) lemon rind strip
- 3 tablespoons Poire Williams or other pear liqueur
- 6 (2-inch) lemon rind strips
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add 1 rind strip. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Remove pears from pan with a slotted spoon; cover and chill.
- 2. Bring cooking liquid to a boil over high heat; cook until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup (about 20 minutes). Strain through a sieve into a bowl; cover and chill. Stir in liqueur. Arrange 2 pear halves in each of 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce and 1 rind strip, if desired.
Credit: James Peterson, Cooking Light