- 1 cup chopped onion
8 cups sliced zucchini(about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, cheddar cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Tip: You may like to add fresh garlic, fresh parsley and finely chopped mushrooms.
Easy to prepare and rich in flavor, the casserole pairs fabulously with roasted chicken, ham, or pork chops.Credit: Recipe from Cooking Light
OCTOBER 2002. Photograph from Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke. Copyright © 2014 Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. All Rights Reserved.