1 1/2 cups dried baby lima beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced smoked turkey breast (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups sliced collard greens (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 20 minutes. Remove from heat; drain beans.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes. Add beans, broth, and the next 5 ingredients (beans through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in collards, vinegar, and tomatoes. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.Credit: Photograph and recipe from Copyright © 2014 Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. All Rights Reserved.