Sweet Potato Fritters with Smoky Pinto Beans Recipe
These easy sweet potato fritters have a crispy crust and a tender middle. The beans are flavored with smoked paprika. To give it a Mexican-inspired twist, use chili powder as the spice instead of the paprika.
4 servings, 2 fritters & 1/2 cup beans each
1 large sweet potato, (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large poblano peppers, or small green bell peppers, chopped
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
1 1/4 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup water
4 lime wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Prick sweet potato in several places with a fork. Microwave on High until just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture. Add beans, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cover and set aside.
4. Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Peel the sweet potato and mash in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the reserved onion-pepper mixture, egg and water. Add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Form the sweet potato mixture into eight 3-inch oval fritters, using a generous 1/4 cup for each. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 fritters until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining fritters and oil.
6. Bake the fritters until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve the fritters with the reserved bean mixture and lime wedges, if desired.
Credit: Recipes were taken from http://www.recipes.com.© 2014 Digimedia.com, L.P.