- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Toppings: sour cream, sliced green onions
- Stir together first 3 ingredients. Turn dough out onto a surface sprinkled with biscuit mix. Shape into a ball, and knead 3 to 4 times. Divide into 6 portions.
- Invert 6 (6-ounce) custard cups several inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. (Or use an inverted muffin pan.) Coat outsides of cups with vegetable cooking spray.
- Roll or pat each dough portion into a 6-inch circle. Place each on a custard cup; press into a bowl shape.
- Bake at 450° for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly; remove biscuit bowls to a wire rack.
- Cook beef, onion, and bell pepper in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, beans, and chili powder.
- Bring beef mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Spoon into biscuit bowls, and serve with desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.
Credit: Photo: Tina Cornett, Copyright © 2014 Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. All Rights Reserved.