Sausage and Peppers Meat Loaf
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Barilla Sweet Peppers & Garlic pasta sauce
- 1 pound(s) hot or sweet Italian pork sausage, removed from casings
- 1 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup(s) fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup(s) finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup(s) shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon(s) fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each salt and pepper
- To ease removal of loaf from cooker, fold two 24-in.-long pieces foil in half lengthwise twice. Place strips across each other, forming a “+” in bottom of a 3 1⁄2-qt or larger slow-cooker. Press strips against inside of cooker, letting ends hang over outside.
- Mix 1⁄2 cup pasta sauce with remaining ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Form into a 7 1⁄2 x 4 1⁄2 x 2 1⁄2-in. loaf. Place in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 8 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 165°F.
- Heat rest of sauce; serve at table.
- Different Takes: Try a pasta salad on the side. Leftover meat loaf makes great sandwiches.
Credit: Recipe from Woman’s Day magazine. ©2014 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved.