Sesame Beef Bowls
Yield: 2 servings
- 250 grams (9 ounces) tender cut of beef thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing Wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a bowl, combine the beef, Shaoxing, ginger and garlic and thoroughly mix together. Add the potato starch and mix to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the water, soy sauce and sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the sesame seeds to a sauté pan and heat over medium high heat. Toast the sesame seeds until they are golden brown, swirling them around the pan constantly to ensure they brown evenly.
- Once the sesame seeds are well toasted, transfer them to a plate and add the sesame oil to the pan along with the beef.
- Stir-fry the beef until there are no red bits left, and then add the soy sauce mixture. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until it’s turned into a thick sauce that coats the meat.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, and then serve the beef over steamed Asian greens on rice.Credit: Recipe from Food blogger Marc Matsumoto, Recipe courtesy of Fresh Tastes.