1/2 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix (about 1 2/3 cups) 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup slivered almonds, finely ground 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 2 eggs
3 cups assorted fresh berries (such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries) 3/4 cup apricot preserves 3 tablespoons apple juice 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously spray bottom and side of 8- or 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch rounds.
4. Place berries in medium bowl. In 1-quart saucepan, heat preserves and apple juice to boiling, stirring frequently. Pour over berries; toss berries until coated with preserves mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
5. Gently cut off any dome from top of cake, using serrated knife, to make top level. On serving plate, place cake, sliced side down. Arrange berries on cake; drizzle with syrup remaining in bowl. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Store leftover cake covered in refrigerator.
* Grind the slivered almonds in a small food processor, or very finely chop them with a knife.
You can use up the remaining cake mix by making a second cake; wrap airtight and store in the freezer.
Credit: ©2013 General Mills
Credit: Portions of content provided by Betty Crocker Store powered by Cooking.com